(Please indicate the source if repost.)
Most of the people who fly frequently knows that they can collect miles while flying if they joined the related frequent flyer program. If they got enough miles, they can exchange it to get free tickets, upgrading classes or some other items.
This article will share how to get more miles (KrisFlyer & Asia miles) using credit cards, and also fees during the conversion (from bank points to miles). This article will also talk about the “value” of miles.
Bank:Features: 10X for paywave, foreign currency spendings (5% rebate or 4 miles)
Annual income S$50000 for SC / PR, S$60,000 for Foreigners, or a Fixed Deposit collateral of min S$20,000 is required
Remarks: Minimum S$1000 monthly spending required; 10X is for first S$2000 only, and 10X is calculated based on every S$5
Expiration: Around 3 years
Recommend: Frequently traveller, overseas online shopper, mile collectors.
View Details ★★★☆☆
* Earn 2.5 miles for every S$1 spent overseas (Earn UNI$6.25 per S$5)
* Earn 1.6 miles for every S$1 spent locally (Earn UNI$4 per S$5)
* Bonus 20,000 miles every year if you spend more than S$50,000 per annum
* Complimentary one-way limousine transfer to the airport
Eligibility: Annual income 80K, or a Fixed Deposit collateral of minimum S$50,000 is required.
Expiration: Around 3 years
Remarks: Amex exchange rate is much worse than Visa / MasterCard.
- Welcome Bonus: Receive 5,000 bonus KrisFlyer miles the first time you use your Card.
- Spend Bonus: Receive 3,000 bonus KrisFlyer miles when you spend S$700 on your Card in first 6 months upon approval.
- Bonus KrisFlyer miles* with Singapore Airlines: 2 KrisFlyer miles will be received for every S$1 of eligible Singapore Airlines ticket purchases made directly at singaporeair.com and KrisShop, in-flight and online.
- KrisFlyer miles will be credited into your KrisFlyer account automatically
- Enjoy up to 50% savings* with American Express Selects at a wide selection of restaurants in Singapore and around the world.
- First 2 Supplementary Cards fee permanently waived
Btw, I would like to highlight that admin charges will apply for most of the banks when you make a conversion from respective bank points to miles.
- DBS: Annual enrolment fee of S$42.80 (inclusive of GST) applies.
- UOB/ANZ/Citibank: A $25 conversion administrative fee applies for each conversion.
- Maybank: A $25 conversion administrative fee applies for each conversion since Mar 1, 2014 (waived for Maybank Visa Infinite Card or Maybank World MasterCard cardholders).
“Value” of Miles
100 miles could worth S$1 or more, depends how will you use it. It could reach to S$6.6 based on one of the following example:
- Example 1: offset your payment for air tickets (100 miles = S$1)
You use it to offset your payment for air tickets (e.g. “Pay with KrisFlyer miles” in SingaporeAir.com).
Under this case, 100 miles worth around S$1 (you need at least 5K KrisFlyer to get this option enabled).
- Example 2: redeem economy saver class air tickets (100 miles = S$2)
You use it to redeem your economy saver class air tickets.
You planned a return trip “Singapore – Hong Kong” for May 07 ~ May 17 on Jan 6, 2014, and selected “Redeem award flight” for a economy saver air tickets at SingaporeAir.com.
Normally, you need to pay S$506 + 126.50 (Fees). With KrisFlyer miles, you need to pay 25500 KrisFlyer miles + 126.50 (Fees).
Under this case, your 25500 KrisFlyer miles worth S$506. I.e. 100 miles worth around S$2
- Example 3: redeem first saver class air tickets (100 miles = S$6.6)
You use it to redeem your first class air tickets.
You planned a return trip “Singapore – Hong Kong” for May 07 ~ May 17 on Jan 6, 2014, and selected “Redeem award flight” for a first class saver air tickets at SingaporeAir.com.
Normally, you need to pay S$4,206.00 + 126.50 (Fees). With KrisFlyer miles, you need to pay 63750 KrisFlyer miles + 126.50 (Fees).
Under this case, your 63750 KrisFlyer miles worth S$4,206. I.e. 100 miles worth around S$6.6